About Me

My photo
I am originally from S. Korea but currently studying in the States. Through this blog, I would love to interact with all kinds of interesting people. So, if you would like, please. Your comment is welcomed.

Labels

20110111

#4: What Happened in the Drawing Class



One of my least favorite drawing. Like the skull drawing, I didn't enjoy working on this piece. I knew I wouldn't like it from the beginning, because I moved on putting values without perfecting the proportion. As a result, proportion came out ugly and this project was rather disappointing.

As I was working so hard on finding the just-right proportion for this piece, I sneaked to see how others were making progress. The ones who used charcoal were already almost done, when I was still struggling to sketch the outline!! I was determined then. "I am using charcoal next time."






so here we go.



Next project time, I held out the charcoal that I prepared with my determined heart. I did NOT know much about charcoal. I did NOT know my charcoal's hardness was medium, which would be harder to use especially for a beginner like me. I learned what charcoal was and how to use it that day. 


Charcoal is weird and fun. It is so much smoother than a pencil that it would shed its powder(?) on the paper, as if it is falling apart on paper while I'm using it. At the same time, it would leave deep, strong traces on paper. You will not be able to get that out perfectly with your super eraser.  


I had to go through unsuccessful trials for two hours, just to figure out how to play with charcoal. Then, this. 



Much better contrast in value. Compare this drawing with the glass drawing above. You can definitely see wider range of values in this drawing. 


And the story goes. Aria fell in love with charcoal and was faithful to it till the end. 


I love charcoal. It's simply amazing!!!


2 comments: