About Me

My photo
I am originally from S. Korea but currently studying in the States. Through this blog, I would love to interact with all kinds of interesting people. So, if you would like, please. Your comment is welcomed.

Labels

20110109

#3: What Happened in the Drawing Class



I personally do not like this piece. At that time, I was very discouraged by getting two B+'s on my first two drawings. Also, I was very tired of hearing the same comment "the drawing needs to be crisp" again, not knowing how to fix that "crisp" problem!!

It was ironic because my instructor told me NOT to line the object but rather create that "line" by differing the values. I took that literally. Later, I found it is OKAY to draw a line to define the object a little.

I still remember how I rushed through this piece mumbling "I don't like this. This is ridiculous. He told me the lines are not clear. well, now he will see the line." And I continued pressing down on my 2B pencil really hard along the boundaries of the object on paper.

Guess what. He gave me an A on this drawing. I still don't think this is a good drawing at all. the shadow and some parts of the scull need to have some darker shading. The antler (right) is ugly. Oh, well. The grade did encourage me to do next ones, though.

2 comments:

  1. I always wonder how grading an art class works? Isn't the grading so subjective? And all artists don't agree? I'm just confused about what quantifies a "B" or an "A" in art. I think it looks great Seyun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on teachers. Some people are determined to give out certain number of A's, B's, whatever in class. Even if all student deserve A or B, he will give three A's only to the top three. Some others may grade the drawings by student's individual ability and improvement. I believe most of the teachers use the combination of both methods I mentioned.

    you know, it's kinda like grading writings. Like checking grammars and structure, art professors check reasonable level of techniques in their work. Meanwhile, grading abstract work is like grading ideas in creative writing. They both are kinda subjective.

    ReplyDelete